Coconuts- the Sequel
A couple of weeks ago, Tia bought some more coconuts for this party that she was having. While she was busy doing something else, I picked one up. Not only was it a different colour (pale yellow brown and very fuzzy) than the ones we cracked before, but this batch made a water sort of noise when I shook it. I told her that finally I thought that we had the right kinds of coconuts.
So when we both had a minute or two, we grabbed the coconuts and headed donwstairs to find the right tools. First, we wanted to take out the liquid. I don't know why it is called milk, because when it came out, it looked just like water. It tastes a bit like coconut, but mostly pretty watery. Anyways, we wanted to drill holes in the top to let the water out, but even though we found the drill and the drill bits, we could not get the drill to work. We had to take a hammer and a big nail and smack the nail through the nut. Then we held it upside down over a bowl and let all the juice dribble out. This took a little while.
When it was all drained, we found some newspaper, the safety goggles (just like last time) and used the hammer to crack that coconut really hard. It only took two or three whacks and it opened. This time, the inside was not rotten. We took the pieces to the kitchen and Tia used a knife to get the meat (that's what she calls it) away from the shell so that I could taste it. It tasted pretty good, but not quite the same as the stuff in the bags that you find at the grocery store. I'm not sure that I want to eat this every day, but it's quite tasty anyway.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home